Monday, April 21, 2014

Real Push-ups. And Greek salad.

It seems like kids can do anything with their bodies. When do we lose that? I know not everyone does, but I think if you asked most people my age to do a handstand or a cartwheel they would just laugh. I could do those things when I was a kid and I liked it. I'm pretty sure I could also do real "man" push-ups too but I don't actually remember. For as long as I remember every time I tried I could not even do one full push up unless I was on my knees. The Jillian Michaels moves in January included push-ups and I modified them the whole month. I don't think I even tried. But you know what? That really started to hurt my knees because of how hard the floor is. So when it came time to do push-ups again after a couple of months I figured I better try it to see if I could give my knees a break. And I was surprised to find out that I am now strong enough to do push-ups. Not that my nose comes anywhere near to touching the ground. They are probably more like half push ups. But this is a huge breakthrough for me. The other day Robin asked me how many I could do. I just laughed and said "really? You think I can count while I am doing this?" I kind of look forward to it actually. It's proof that I have broken a very solid "I can't" barrier. I am stronger than I think I am. My lunges are improving too. My knees touch the ground most of the time when I do them. 

On a totally different topic, I made a sort of Greek salad for dinner tonight. I used beef tips this time but I usually get the really thin sirloin steaks and cut them into bite size pieces. I cook them in just a little olive oil and season them with Greek seasoning. Unfortunately I just found out my Greek seasoning has msg so I will be looking for a better one. I do this salad with a spinach base and add cucumber, thin slices of red onion, cherry tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese. Then I add Greek seasoning to some plain Greek yogurt and stir in a little milk until it's thin enough to be used as dressing. Or if I have been to costco lately I use tzatziki, also thinned with milk for the dressing. It's so light and yummy and my husband LOVES it. Perfect summer meal in our house. Except that toddlers don't really eat salad. Their loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment